Lifestyle tips

Strength training as an obese person

I'm a big girl... Currently around 533. I don't want to lose weight, but I do want to improve my health. I have been walking with my dog, and I'm up to 1.6 miles a day, broken up into four walks. I take my time going down my block, which is .2 of a mile and then back. I'm slow, but I get there! I should mention that, last September, I couldn't even walk from the car into a grocery store. My fiance had to go get a scooter for me.

Having had good results with walking, as far as a major reduction in physical pain, I decided to add dumbbells. I've been able to increase what I can lift, and my shoulder pain is much less. I wanted to add ankle weights to do slight leg lifts while sitting. Unfortunately, my ankle circumference is just too big. I'm planning to buy a step machine (marketed primarily to seniors) that can be used while sitting.

Adding again, that I have no desire to shed pounds, other than perhaps to get back to what I consider my ideal weight of 525. I see this as a way to stay fat, while minimizing mobility related consequences.

Any other super heavy folks around here who find ways to stay modestly active?
2 weeks

BigBallBellyGirl:
I'm a big girl... Currently around 533. I don't want to lose weight, but I do want to improve my health. I have been walking with my dog, and I'm up to 1.6 miles a day, broken up into four walks. I take my time going down my block, which is .2 of a mile and then back. I'm slow, but I get there! I should mention that, last September, I couldn't even walk from the car into a grocery store. My fiance had to go get a scooter for me.

Having had good results with walking, as far as a major reduction in physical pain, I decided to add dumbbells. I've been able to increase what I can lift, and my shoulder pain is much less. I wanted to add ankle weights to do slight leg lifts while sitting. Unfortunately, my ankle circumference is just too big. I'm planning to buy a step machine (marketed primarily to seniors) that can be used while sitting.

Adding again, that I have no desire to shed pounds, other than perhaps to get back to what I consider my ideal weight of 525. I see this as a way to stay fat, while minimizing mobility related consequences.

Any other super heavy folks around here who find ways to stay modestly active?

Excellent :-) It’s good to keep the blood flowing while keeping the figure one wants to have. Walking is probably the best thing we can do!
2 weeks

Yes, I agree with you on that.
2 weeks

I'm not super heavy, but I do think there are plentiful options when it comes to strength training as a very large person.

It really depends on what you're looking to do. 15-30 minutes of strength training 3-6 times a week won't make you lose substantial weight, but it will definitely help your mobility. A friend of mine was 450 pounds and could both hike for miles and lift his 250 pound wife in his arms (or on his back) and walk around with her.

He did a lot of powerlifting exercises. If you want to get started on something like that I recommend stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5/
There is a phone app that makes it pretty easy. Just 3 exercises per session. And it builds decent strength and is relatively balanced. It requires a barbell and squat rack though.

If you want something simpler, calisthenics is good too.
(Link in post below...)
This poster helped me a lot when I was younger. You never have to progress to the more complex stuff, but just the movements will help with mobility, flexibility, and so forth.

Also, yoga is a great way to stay strong and flexible.

And the best part is, as long as your calories in are equal to or more than your calories out, you'll keep the weight on. You may loose some girth in some areas though, simply through accumulation of muscle and a decrease in total fat mass. You'll be the same weight, but you'll have a different composition.

Hope this helps!
1 week

Apparently FF only allows one link per post. Kind of strange. Here is the calisthenics link I referred to in the previous post:
www.startbodyweight.com/2014/01/basic-routine-infographic-poster.html
1 week

I also want to get back into weight lifting, not to lose weight but to feel safer. Any time Ive ever started it at a higher weight instead of a lower one my body builds muscle like a beast, the more you have to work with the more your body will turn into muscle and the stronger you will be. Theres a reason why competitive weight lifters and competitive body builders look completely different
1 week